Monday, November 12, 2012

Twenty- Five

It was Friday, December 9 2011. I was so emotional. I was at my wit's end. I was becoming more frustrated trying so hard to be patient. It was three weeks to the day of our nonstop talking episodes.

Thank God the next day was our skype date. Caleb would hopefully mention something then, and we could figure out what was really going on between us. That would be fabulous.

I got home from work, and my phone buzzed with a new text from Caleb.

"Can you skype tonight? I can't wait to see your face again."

That did it. I just cried.

I sat at my piano. I didn't have very much time before going to church to help with the Christmas banquette fundraiser. But I had to unload the pressure in my heart somehow. I sang my new song, cried, and felt better.

I texted my mom and said I wanted to see Caleb so bad. "I want him at my door. With roses. Now."

I was begging myself to chill out. I couldn't have such ridiculous wishes right now. Especially when his mom just got diagnosed with cancer.

It was my birthday two days later... I couldn't help but wish he had something up his sleeve. I knew how romantic he had been with other girls... I tried so hard to simmer my mind down.

The night at church went well. I decided I'd put make up on, with Caleigh's encouragement. It took me off guard.

"Put on more make up with me, " she said.

"Ok. What's going on? Did Caleb talk to Dad or something?" She was acting funny.

In my family, all interested gentlemen must ask our Dad permission to date us. A hoop to jump through for sure.

but Caleigh denied it, and I decided to put more make up on. Why not.

I passed my Dad a few times that night at the banquette, and he kept smiling at me. Like he was realizing something very sentimental in his mind. Maybe Caleb did talk to him... Maybe Caleb would ask me to be his girlfriend on our Skype date the next day.

During the banquette, Caleb texted me that he was taking a long nap, and he'd text me when he woke up. I told him I was busy with the banquette, and I'd talk to him later.

I washed about a million dishes before leaving and having some soup at my family's house. I took my time, and then headed back to my apartment to skype some friends from college before skyping Caleb.

While I was skyping my old roommates, Caleb texted me that he was ready to skype. I told him I would be ready in ten minutes.

Caleigh dropped by to pick up her computer she left at the apartment, and I just signed on to skype with Caleb.

He was wearing that shirt I loved so much... the purple, and blue paid shirt. He wore it the night I just stared at him and texted Jeremy how gorgeous I thought he was when we used to study together in the library.

I looked at him through the skype screen, and just melted a little. He looked so cute.

Caleigh came over to chat with him for a few minutes, before turning it over to me.

Caleb looked a little tight wherever he was skyping me from. I didn't ask where he was, though. We settled into talking, when he said,

"I should be there right now..."

"I know... I wish you were too..." I felt sad even thinking about how it weren't true, and couldn't be true.

Gosh, he looked so cute.

"You know what?" He told me, "I'll be right there. Hold on."

Suddenly, Caleb got up, and all I saw was a white wall.

I was mad for a second thinking about how cruel this joke was.

But he didn't come back.

The clock kept ticking, and the wall was still white, and Caleb was not there.

I heard foot steps outside.

I stared at the screen.

Caleigh came out from my bedroom.

I stared at the screen.

I heard noise outside, and then a loud knock at my door.

I got up, with vision overwhelmed by confusion...

I turned the doorknob, and opened the door.

And there. At my door. Stood Caleb. With dozens of roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment