Thursday, November 22, 2012

The mirror

Every Thanksgiving, I sat in my chair, across from the giant mirror on the wall at Grandma's house. I'd catch a glance at myself in years past and think to myself, "Who will I sit next to someday? Whose face will I see catching my eye in this mirror?"

I'd dress up every year, and feel a little bit disappointed that no one would particularly appreciate it that much.

Today I was excited for more than the usual amazing Thanksgiving Day feasting, and togetherness. It wasn't great only because I could sleep in a little bit, or that I got to see some family members that live farther away.

No. Today, I finally saw the face I'd waited to see in the mirror.

Caleb complimented me countless times on my clothes, and my hair and my make up.

I was absolutely giddy, awaiting the time to all gather around the table, and take our seats. I took my seat across from that mirror. And so did Caleb.

And I've finally gotten to catch his eye in the reflection, and bask in the fact that I'll see his face there for the rest of our lives.

Nine days.

No comments:

Post a Comment