Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 7!

Day 7!

Day 7, March 18, 2011… today we ate breakfast at the hotel, and headed north to North Carolina. It was a seemingly uneventful day, since most of it was spent on the bus. We performed at John Davis’s church, and Trina, Kirstie, Gwyn and Haley and Dr. Burge and I are all staying with this sweet older woman named Hilda. She and I talked about gluten intolerance for a long time, since her husband was gluten intolerant too. He passed away a bit ago.

Tonight I had a really good time singing. I have to admit I’ve been getting super sad that I only have a few months left of being in college. During our concert, I had a moment where I just loved it. I mean, don’t get me wrong… I basically always love it. It just gets mechanical to sing the same program. I spend most of my time concentrating on simply getting the pitches right after being on a bus all day. Things like that. But tonight, in that beautiful sanctuary, I felt like I fully existed in the moment.

It was one of those moments that I realized I’m still in college. Enough of this sudden sadness when I realize the days are numbered. I’m still here. I’m still on choir tour 2011. I’m still singing all these gorgeous songs.

We surrounded the audience and sang O Vos Omnes, and I listened to everyone sing around me. It seemed to me like each voice was a hand raised, grasping above us. Maybe it was how high and lovely the ceilings were tonight. Like there was this vast expanse over our heads. But when I started singing my part, I felt like I was raising my hands too. I know it may seem like a weird analogy, but it really felt like that. And it felt good to sing.

And so was day 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment