Friday, March 12, 2010

How Did I Get Here?!

Day one of Choir Tour 2010!! Trina and I are going to bed soon. Tonight we had our first concert of the official tour with the GC choir. It went pretty well. I honestly didn't feel like it was my best night, but some aspects were good. 

Our host family was as surprised as we were to find that 6 of us would be staying with them. And so Kaylie, Kayla, Ashley, Alyson, Trina and I are staying at the same house. It's been fun. It's really nice to get to know people. We all spend hours and hours together for rehearsals every week, but I'm thinkin' the tour will certainly prove me wrong that I don't know everyone, but that's not the final diagnosis to be given once we return in 9 days.

The church we sang at tonight was the church Doc (the director) got married at. There were a few GC choir Alumni there tonight too which was cool. One of the best aspects of the night was how much of the food I was able to eat. There was tons of fruit. So I was very pleased. 

I am so relieved to finally be on the other end of these past two weeks. I'm done exams for at least a week and a half. This semester has been chompin' at my tail, and it's not a joy ride at any angle. I was so tired I was even a little fatigued when remembering today starts choir tour. I've really been looking forward to it. This morning though I didn't even know how I'd get everything done. But lo, He comes (words from a song for tour...), and eventually time does pass. And here I am in a strange dark room in Champaigne IL, owned by a family I don't know, and may never see again. I love it. 

Looking back over this school year, I feel like I've been able to do a lot of random but awesome things. On the subject of staying in random peoples' houses, I usually find myself amused at the thought that actually am where I am. Let me clarify. Have you ever woken up somewhere and forgotten where you are? Well, while I'm awake I get similar feelings. Sometimes I just think, "Where am I? How did I get here?!" Even though I know full well the answers. Sometimes I think, "Wow, I never would have guessed I'd be here right now." meaning in this exact house, in this exact room, for the exact reason I am here. I know it may seem sort of funny that I question myself to find answers I already know. But it just makes me appreciate it all. It makes me excited for the stories I'll tell about these moments in years to come.

In our last host family's home, Trina and I talked for a while with the Husband of the household. Their children were grown and gone, and this guy liked to talk. We were thankful. Definitely breaks the ice. He was so sweet! He had to have teared up at least 5 times in our hour or so conversation. He was so adorable and so welcoming, as was his adorable little wife. 

Well, now that my teeth are brushed, face is washed, shower has been taken, and finally the blog has been written, I shall go to bed. Sleep will be in short supply in the coming days! Not that it's going to be too different than the recent ones.... but I am certainly looking forward to a real bed that doesn't feel like macaroni with paper over it like school beds... Good night!

1 comment:

  1. “Macaroni with paper over it”…what kind of beds were you sleeping in?!?

    ReplyDelete