Thursday, March 11, 2010

Close Your Eyes and Simply Be

Tis only hours away from Spring Break. The anticipation ties me up and will not let me sleep. Those of you who know Romeo and Juliet know I just did a play on words there. Those of you who don't, I'm sorry for your loss. And those of you who even read this, I'm grateful for your devotion.

These last two weeks have been unbelievably busy. You'd think it's finals right now... I guess the profs are trying to make up for "lost time" before break even happens. But this logic does not work well with me, you see, because in fact, Spring Break is not counted as a week in the semester at all. If it were we'd get out a week earlier for the year. So, now that we all understand that there is no point to adding extra work and exams before a break that is not robbing anyone of any time in the semester, we can get our sleepless night back. If only...

My roommate is asleep. I'm awake. I took out a lot of the clothes I need to pack yet for choir tour. I've had no time! I still need to run to get food (gluten free!) before we leave tomorrow at 3:30. One more exam! So close... so close.

The newest happenings in my life include going to a chiropractor. It's ridiculous. One may say he knows that he has many bones. But he does not experience those bones until someone cracks them audibly. Kinda scaring. Strangely addicting. My xrays show 6 out of 12 vertebrae a bit crooked. My neck is kinda straight. Lower back crooked. So anyone who has thought "Shaina has the worst posture ever," well, I like to think this explains that. So, if all goes well I'll be going there for a while to get it all fixed. The biggest enemy is money. Money.... the epiphany of hating what we don't have.

Vespers was pretty cool tonight. It was so nice to get to worship. The choir's been singing a lot, but it was nice to be with the congregation rather than be on stage. Vespers is rather creative. The people that do worship for it usually get pretty crafty and really minister through the music. They sometimes use odd instruments and almost have a "set" sometimes with the different "stations" they go to for different songs. But the worship is always really passionate and so refreshing after nearly another week of school has gone by. Tonight there was a bit of a string section. Violin, viola and bass. It was so beautiful. It was nice to just listen when I didn't know a song. Strings to me sound like luring hands inviting me to close my eyes and just be. It sounds like breathing but with the emotion of the voice. 

While I'm on tour, I plan to blog every night. When I have the time anyway:) 

I suppose sleep is the best option for the hour... And so I say goodbye. The next time I write I'll have packed, taken this next stinkin' exam, hopefully slept, played for chapel, and gotten all the other odds and ends figured out! My list is already written for tomorrow. Of course! 

And so dear world, sleep sweet with the soft rhythms of music bidding you close your eyes and simply be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment