Friday, June 3, 2011

I Have Seen the Lord



This is a song I wrote with Storm Sharrett in April. I think I probably talked about it, but this song was such a huge Godthing. In April I was reading through the New Testament, and I started praying that God would give me songs to write about Him. I started writing this song, and got stuck pretty quickly. Storm and I worked on it together, and finished it. We did it for Vespers the night after we finished it, which was so cool, because it fit in perfectly with everything else that night.

My parents were fasting and praying together over the Good Friday service the day Storm and I finished the song. My dad wasn't sure how to close his message for the service. When Storm and I were writing this song, we were so prayerful as we worked on the song separately and then coming together to work on it was awesome. I sent the song to my parents that Wednesday, and sent the lyrics with it. I woke up the next day (Thursday) with a text from my dad asking me if when I was home the next day, if I could close the service singing I Have Seen the Lord. He said it was unreal how perfect it was with his message.

When I was home for Laura's wedding, I came home on Good Friday. I was absolutely stunned with how many words in I Have Seen the Lord were the key words in my dad's message. It was astounding. God was so incredible... He blessed me so much by sharing his heart and creating a song in my heart. God used Storm too, as we collaborated over basically the entire thing.

So I wanted to share this song with all of you, because I think it's something God is speaking to me and to all of us. I don't feel like I "wrote" or "cowrote" this song in some ways, because I literally feel like I inherited it. Like it was something placed on me. More like just a song I got to sing.

So here are the words, and the video is from Vespers the day after we finished writing it.


There was bondage
Braided into the life I lived
You broke the chains away

There was darkness
In the dawn of everyday
You were calling out to me

But I knew it when you said my name
The stone was rolled away

Chorus
I have seen
I have seen
I have seen the Lord 2x

I was burdened
By the blood you spilled
To reconcile my weak and weary bones

You were buried underneath
The weight of all our wrongs
When mine alone could keep you down

But I knew it when you said my name
The stone was rolled away

Chorus

Bridge

No more darkness no more pain
It's all behind
Out of hiding out of shame
I'm justified
Oh for grace you said my name
You recognized me

No comments:

Post a Comment