Thursday, July 8, 2010

For such times as these

Today while I was teaching Latin, I had the best moment. I drove over to the house, and parked my truck. Walked up to the door, and little Caroline opened the door for me. I set my stuff up, and Arthur Lee (they're the cutest southern family ever) got his notebook out, and searched for a pencil.

His mom came and sat down as I worked on the dry erase board. I started my lecture on discussing the differences between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person. I asked Arthur Lee to give me a sentence in 1st person, and in 3rd person, leaving 2nd person for last. I was about to launch into Imperatives, which require a drum roll for 2nd person.

And so I gave an example of 2nd person for him.

"You are wearing a white shirt." I told him. Bam. 2nd person is "who you're talking to." I was probably boring the poor 8-year-old to death.

I turned towards him, the orange marker in my hands, and told him, "Now your turn. Give me a sentence in 2nd person."

He looked at me. His usual 8-year-old boy squirming stopped for a second as he said, "You, are very pretty."

His mom gave a laugh, as did I as I said that was the sweetest thing ever... and then went back into my lecture.

I might have just gone right back into teaching. I might have gone back into saying over and over again, "First person is who is speaking, 2nd person is who you're talking to, and 3rd person is who you're talking about." Blah blah blah.... but it was one of the finest moment in my teaching experience. I teach, for such times as this. It made my day. It was so so adorable.

1 comment: