Friday, April 23, 2010

False conjectures

I just love writing. It's so cool. I suppose I'm slightly bored, and in a pondering mood of sorts. My throat feels 10 times its size, and sprinkled with aches the size of a normal throat, and I don't feel like talking.

I stalk a lot of people who blog. I know that sounds shady, but I don't care. People like their blogs to be read, so I read them. Sometimes. Anyway, what I like about other peoples' blogs, is people actually comment on them. And I've had 3 comments on mine total. Hmmm... lame. Anyway, this to say, it's kinda sorta pretty cool if anyone should so desire to comment if ever;)

Today after lunch, a friend and I were discussing the common expectation that going to a Christian school will present you with a seemingly unchallenging life while attending the college. We mused about the disconnect of execution in that false conjecture. Now before I continue, I restate my honest love for my college. I do completely love this school. I appreciate a great deal of the "guidelines" and how people don't get kicked out if they should "cross the line" or break the lifestyle statement. I love that girls who get pregnant are welcomed to continue their education here, regardless of the fact that there is no getting around that they "broke the lifestyle statement." I love that there is generally no slapping someone with a Bible if they make a mistake. I've been raised with a spoonful of Scripture from the day I was born, and I can't stand Bible slappin' and I'm already a Christian... not the point... anyway, I love that all are welcomed here. I think it's a great witness, and I detest the front that Christians very easily (including myself) put forward, that proclaims us as better than the rest of the world which falls beneath us. Not true. And disturbingly false and uninviting to the precious people around us.

Anyway, Lindsay and I continued our musing as the air misted around us. She in her ponytail, and I under my (brother's) hoodie shared our frustrations about how certain things are seen as not only entirely permissible, but beneficial for Christians. I can't get into much detail here, but I can say I'm guilty of consternation- I'm guilty of shock, and failing to be prepared to encounter such differing opinions on that which is seen as beneficial for a Christian.

I was homeschooled, and a great many people would impetuously lend my "half-full" view of life to what I did not experience in previous years of my academic career. However, I disagree that my lack of experience should build the conclusion that I am lacking. I've said a number of times, I was privileged with a multitude of invaluable experiences as a homeschooled student. The knowledge and upbringing I hold so precious now that it's collected in my "That which had fled" portion of my heart, is inestimable. A treasure too great to calculate. Hmmm... that has a nice hook;)

What I'm getting at, is I am so thankful for the fact that living here makes me think. I hate having to venture into uncomfortable territory as I sort through a passage of Scripture I had grown up thinking I completely understood, all to be confronted with unexpected opposition in front of an entire classroom. But as Lindsay and I agreed today, we will certainly walk away from these years of education knowing so much more of what we believe and why we believe it.

One thing I have to give a token to in my homeschooling years, was biology with Mrs. D. Two years of academic affliction in some ways, yet also two years that have prepared me for the appointments of the forthcoming, which have indeed arrived in my life. The issues we discussed in that bio class were much broader than the intricate little details I didn't even know could be of debating matter until debated here, but I gathered a foundation that in those position papers and other assignments I completed years ago.

Mrs. D was the most impacting teacher I had in high school. As I've said, the classes themselves were very beneficial and continue to be even now. However, she herself lent to the authenticity of the fruit born from those years under her instruction.

I'm going to head off to the D.C. for dinner, but I'll close on those thoughts. Ahhh the limitless list of labors in life!

1 comment:

  1. Heyo! here's a comment for you Shai!

    I of course agree with the shout out to Mrs. D.
    Although I enjoyed the slight bio I had before the two year odyssey of early Thursday mornings, I didn't realize how much I really enjoyed the mysteries of life until bio with Mrs. D.
    While I haven't really dug into any major science courses here at NU as of yet, I am finding it very difficult to discuss my beliefs as you might be able to in a "Christian" college.
    The belief that Genesis may perhaps have played out exactly as it is written is so far removed from reality that my Astronomy teacher laughingly referred to it as "magic". This doesn't really give me too many cards too play as someone whose beliefs are giving absolutely no credence in an "intellectual" atmosphere.
    So in many ways my college experience (so far) has been a realization of the message that Mrs. D always drove home: the lens you look at the world with defines how you interpret the things you observe.
    This analogy points me directly to the source of my disagreements with fellow students and professors: we have different standards of authority (my psych professor comfortingly told me that science defines truth).

    The only problem is, if people's beliefs are really rooted in their faith, where does this leave me in an intellectual atmosphere where we aren't supposed to bring up matters of personal faith? Especially when people dismiss scientists whose views smack of anything supernatural from the table and revile them in their classrooms.

    Haha! Sorry, I realize I kind of took your broader thoughts on differing beliefs and developed them pretty specifically in the scientific realm, but i guess good ol Bio touched me off!

    ReplyDelete