Monday, April 18, 2011

Magnificat

Yesterday, April 17th, the Greenville College Choir had the privilege of singing the Bach Magnificat with the American Kantorei.

The American Kantorei is a professional choral and orchestral ensemble which has become well-known for its Bach at the Sem Concert Series, as they are from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis.

On Saturday, the 16th, we had a long rehearsal with the orchestra and Kantorei. It was pretty exhausting, but such an awesome experience to be able to perform beside these amazing musicians and singers.

As a (short) soprano 1, I was right behind a few of the string players. They were seemingly flawless. Their sound was so clean. I'm a music freak... I was following along their music when they were playing (when I wasn't singing), and watching their fingers as they read and played... I'm a singer because I just can't do that. It's that simple of a conclusion. I wish I could play like that, but I simply cannot. I'll stick to vocals!

The soloists were amazing... our very own Jake Tacket and Kayla Wiersma sang the Tenor and Soprano duet in Bach’s Cantata # 4 (‘Christ lag in Todesbanden’ / ‘Christ Lay in the Snares of Death’). Jake also had a solo with Professor Brown. Prof Brown is my voice prof here at Gville, and she's also a part of the Kantorei. They were all fabulous.

I have to say I completely loved hearing and watching the soprano sing number 3 of the Magnificat, Quia Respexit Humilitatem. She was so perfect. Her voice was beautiful.

The Greenville choir sang a few of our songs from our 2011 Tour program as well. It was really nice to sing them again. We know them so well, they just feel good to sing. I almost feel like my body thanks me when we get to sing them again. It's easier than learning all these crazy Bach melismas and tricky rhythms. These songs are engrained into us at this point. It's refreshing to bring them back.

One of the best things about performing with the Kantorei, was working with their director, Dr. Robert Bergt. He is 81 years old. He only has one leg, and uses a motorized wheelchair to get around. I have never met anyone like him... he is so joyful. His love for the Lord and for music is inspiring, and working with him was such an honor.

Singing with the Kantorei this weekend was our last formal choir concert of the 2010-2011 year. It was a perfect way to end it.


(The Kantorei is on Facebook:) http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52403376106)

No comments:

Post a Comment