Saturday, October 6, 2012

Seventeen

As I finished Kirstie's hair and make up, hardly beginning on my own, Zach texted me that I had about 5 minutes before the gang was going to leave for the dance.

I didn't look good. I knew it. I didn't feel it. I tried, but the odds beat me, and I didn't feel very pretty.

I was wearing a bridesmaids dress I'd just worn for a wedding a few weeks before. Zach had suggested it. So maybe I did look ok.

I walked in Zach and Caleb's apartment, and found Caleb in blue and red like we'd planned.  He had been so cute showing me options, so I'd like what he wore. I felt  so uncertain though, because I still just couldn't tell if he wanted to go with me, or was just trying to be a gentleman. He was good at that. Maybe that's all this was. He didn't want to hurt my feelings.

I walked over to him, and gave him a hug. He told me I looked beautiful. I didn't feel beautiful, but I was kind of pleased he was playing the part of my date so sweetly. I told him he looked handsome.

We drove to the Jr Sr, and Caleb and I sat in the back with Joel, and Stephen drove with Zach in the front.

We sat down at our table, and then went outside for some pictures.

Through the night Caleb officially asked me to be his date, since he said he felt bad for not asking me first. Ohhh he played the gentleman card so well...

He and I weren't always side by side the whole night. It was comfortable, and fun.

He'd dance with his buddies, and I'd dance with mine. We were sitting at our table towards the end of the evening, chilling out. A slow song came on...

"Wanna dance?" He asked me.

"Awww! Yeah!" I played the sweetheart date card.

We danced, and we pretended to be super awkward.

"So... um... thanks for... uhhh... coming with me... it's been... so fun!"

We stepped on each other's feet, and goofed off.

I liked it. It was so natural, and so fun, and so cute.

We were the perfect height. I felt cute looking up at him, laughing and acting dorky. And he was pretty adorable...

The song ended, and we were free and danced with other people.

When we were leaving, we decided we'd all stop at Cold Stone and get some ice cream.

We still had a while to go before we got back to school on the drive.

In the back seat, we all started to chill out and nod off...

Caleb felt closer to me than he did on the ride there. No really... he was scooting closer. What was happening? Was I out of my mind? I was so squished against the door, I had no choice I tell you...

I leaned my head on his shoulder.

And he put his head on mine.

I pretended to sleep. My eyes were closed. Most of the time. The moon was my friend, containing its light just enough to create the purest, softest whispers of romantic light. But I swear we both heard them.

We'd hit a bump, and I'd pretend to jump like I had no control over the fact that we were cuddling like two snuggle bunnies.

Oh silly me! I'd fallen asleep! How did I end up on your shoulder?

Oh, I let it happen. I was fully conscious. And I was freaking out. What was happening!?

Did he know? Was he awake? We were friends... we'd spent the whole night goofing off and just enjoying being together. The slow dance was fun... it didn't mean anything... it couldn't have... nothing ever went anywhere with this kid, it was nutty. But he put his head back on mine... and again I let it happen. All the way home.

We got back to their apartment, and we all watched a movie. I was between Joel and Caleb.

Someone was rubbing my foot with his foot.

What the heck?! Whose foot was that!?

I couldn't concentrate. Caleb's hand was suddenly all too close to mine.

Oh my freaking gosh, what would I do if he grabbed my hand?

I couldn't concentrate on the movie...

Caleb announced he was going to bed. He had an interview. In Nashville. The next morning.

He went to bed. The spell was broken. Back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment