Friday, September 21, 2012

Twelve

The next day was New Years Day 2011. It was a Saturday, and Mike wasn't feeling well. I was thinking by that point, that I'd overcome whatever it was that tried to get me sick, too. It had been days and I'd been victorious over the flu.

We all laid around tired and lazy that day, but decided to go down the shore. We all piled into our 15-passenger van, and drove down to LBI. Snow on the beach is such a crazy thing.

We took tons of pictures, and I was standing close to Caleb in one. I decided as Caleigh was clicking the button, I'd wrap my arms around Caleb.


I realized I probably didn't need to do that... but we were all so hyper and excited and happy. Beach at night, people. One New Years Day. With snow on the sand. Come on.

The trend continued, and Caleb and I were close by each other quite often.


We went to Applebees that night on the way home, and finally made it back.

We loaded the pictures onto the computer. I was close by Caleb when he clicked on the one where I hugged him tight. He stared at it. I watched him, though he didn't notice. He stared longer than I thought necessary. For a second I was embarrassed. But he clicked the next one, and the moment passed.

We were all so wired. I'm not sure whose idea it was, but we eventually decided to drive back to Greenville that night.

Stephen wasn't feeling that great, but he said he thought he could manage the ride.

I was exhausted. I honestly felt like I could fall asleep at any given moment. Drive back that night? That sounded long. I was sitting on the steps as Caleb announced his brilliant idea.

"We should each take a buddy in each car to keep us awake. I'll take Shaina with me to keep me awake, since she's not too tired. Mike will have Maggie. Zach have Mark and Stephen, since Stephen can drive stick too if Zach gets tired. "

I was so tired. But when Caleb professed me to be wide awake, I was instantly ready to go. I was not wide awake. But I could pinch myself enough. I was kind of excited to go with Caleb. A 15-hour drive with Caleb? I'd love to.

We piled into our assigned (destined) vehicles, and began. Caleb and I chit chatted nonstop. We were into a conversation like we'd known each other for our whole lives what seemed like instantly.

About 45-minutes into the drive, Zach swerved unexpectedly. Caleb and I looked at each other and started to pull over behind Zach, but he got back on the road and pulled into the rest area.

Stephen had thrown up. Everywhere.

We all got out and grabbed napkins and helped clean everything up. Zach and I looked at each other silently. We knew we were in for it.

Zach confided he didn't feel that great either. But we figured it was probably due to Knives (Stephen) getting sick all over the back of the car. That would make anyone feel sick.

We got big cups for each car just in case any of that should happen again. Knives changed his clothes, and we all piled back in the car, and drove. It was now a matter of simply getting to Greenville as soon as possible. Just keep driving. We should make good timing driving at night with no traffic.

The night continued. Caleb and I talked the entire night. We talked about past relationships, things we'd learned, people that we fell in love with...

There was a moment I was so close to telling him I had liked him last Spring. Instead I said, "You were such a good friend to me last Spring. It was really awesome, and helped me a lot."

Nice save, Shai.

Caleb never mentioned the spark we had going Spring of 2010 either. So I just left it. I don't know what kept me from mentioning anything, even in a light hearted tone. I wouldn't have gotten serious about it. No way.

We also had an audience in the back seat. Mike and Maggie were supposedly asleep. But the information Caleb and I were exchanging was golden. I doubted they were actually asleep the whole time.

I told Caleb I didn't even know he and his past interest were over. Good. I mentioned out loud that I didn't know but that Zach had only just recently filled me in. So he couldn't judge my sudden friendliness as insensitive. He told me his story, and I exchanged my recent story.

We were both so broken hearted. But I admit it might have been hard to tell by the easy way we talked to each other. I was still a girl. He was still a guy.

I was loving it. I was so glad I was with him. I got to know him so much more those hours in the car as he drove. It was our job to talk, though. We HAD to. Right? It's not like he wanted me in the car. I was just wide awake, and he needed someone to keep him up. Obviously. It's not like we were just doing it to have fun. It was business. Clearly.

One of my guy friends texted me late that night.

"Why don't you guys date?"

This was another guy. Not the one Caleb already suggested I date.

Ohhhhh confuse me... why was Caleb so intent on setting me up? Couldn't he see I was very comfortable with him? Didn't he see I gave him more attention than I did any of the other single guys? Zach knew how to pick attractive guys as friends. I was with Caleb all the time... couldn't he see that?

I explained why I would not be dating that particular friend.

We continued on into the drive, and our conversations lengthened into why I wouldn't date either gentleman he had questioned my feelings for. He told me more about past girls he'd been interested in.

We continued on into the night, until morning. When Zach got sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment