Thursday, August 30, 2012

Five

A mere two days passed, and Zach and I found ourselves in Caleb's dorm. We watched How I Met Your Mother and some other people joined in.

I left midway through.

That Sunday, May 16th, I sat in the DC for dinner with some friends. Some of these friends were from Third Oak. Zach's floor. Caleb's floor.

And then. It happened. Jay Yousef. One of my best friends at Greenville... he spoke. He spoke the words. He spoke the words that spurred me into a frenzy.

Apparently Caleb had a crush. And this crush was not on me. Jay suspected this crush anyway...

That's all it took.

I had things to say. Oh did I have words... they were gushing. Bulging. I could have screamed. I made my way across Scott Field. Oh, I had things to say. I felt bold. I felt strong.

I knew the truth. Son of a gun, Caleb Arb... I know what your face said. I read every word. Like the skin disease I was so afraid of on my face... I saw it on your face. And it was unmistakable.

I couldn't say I'd missed the truth.

So where was I going? To him? To set the record straight?

Oh heavens no.

I opened the door, and sat down at the piano. I lifted my hands, and let them fall wherever they were going to.

The song flew.

Too Much was written that night. In a mere 30 minutes or so. Never had a song felt so good to write. It was exactly what I needed to say.

And say I would. At our show the following night. A song not 24-hours old. And would Caleb be there? You bet he would be.

And would he ask me to study with him again that night, after hearing that song? Yeah. Yeah he would.

Would I be even more confused? Yeah. Yeah I would.

But did it matter? Not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment