Monday, August 6, 2012

A mess

Oh, what a fragile mess we are.

Why do we all know the words, "I just can't handle it"?

Why do we so many times in life feel like we just can barely even make it to the end of our 9-5 days?

Why do we have sayings like, "TGIF" and "reached my limit"?

We are a fragile, fragile mess.

God's working on me. I know I'm as clear as a cloud and that my sense of hearing is weak, and maybe couldn't even hear a fog horn through the fog in my life.

I'm weak. Not just my sight and hearing.


Oh, so fragile we are.

Why is sickness such a problem? Why don't even doctors know what to do? Why can't we figure out what the verses in the Bible really mean? Why do we hurt people? Why don't we care about the things we say, when we easily say we'd take a bullet for that person? Why are there so many ideas for an answer to one simple question?

Why do we feel broken, and more broken, and more broken, and more broken... after a sin committed on repeat?

Why can't  we get a grip? Why are we an addicted, hurt, and bitter creation?

We are doomed.

We were from Day One. Or I guess Day Six if you think about it.

So. Here it is:

I'm nothing, can do nothing, will be nothing, without the Lord.

A cliche so overused, so overdone, it means nearly nothing to me. Until right now.

I dare you to literally consider every moment you felt drained today. Every person you saw who looked tired. Every second you felt like crying. Every time you wanted to flip someone off while driving. Every time you uttered a word you'd never teach your child.

Why.

We're fragile. We're a mess. We're broken.

If you go to a doctor and tell him or her your daily routine, you'll likely hear, "You're really doing too much. Sort through what you really enjoy and cut down on some things. You'll be a lot less stressed and healthier."

We literally build our lives around our limitations. And we consider it profession advice to remind us we are fragile. A reminder we're not God.

We are so entirely framed by our limits. We are literally fenced in with heaven-high rails.

Without Christ... we can accomplish nothing. We fail. We can't make it. And we think we accomplish the things we actually do accomplish.

Funny.

Haven't you seen a child with a toy who has no idea the trouble his father went through to find it, the money it took to buy it, the work it took the make the money, the factory that made it, the electricity needed to make the equipment work, the material needed to make it...

As far as that child knows... that toy is his. That's the end. There is no more.

As far as I know. I accomplished things today. There is no more.

I'm a fool.

We're a mess.

I've realized something. I have taken credit for accomplishments that were not for my glory. They were not due to my greatness. I had nothing to do with it. With anything.

So when I fail... what if I simply realized it's not my glory to take, nor my glory to lose?

If I did, would I relax more?

If I realized I'm spoken for, can I find freedom? Can I find release from my own desperation?

All it took for Moses to defeat the Amalekites, was lifting his hands up to the Throne of God (Exodus 17:16). An interesting reminder when I was running today, and the only relief from the cramps in my side was raising my hands over my head.

Every now and then the child in us sees our Father was the one who gave us that toy... we might not have toured the factory that made it... but we're looking in the right direction... grasping to the Throne of God...

I'm serious. Just look at our world... we're trying so hard. But we keep missing it. We keep. on. missing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment