Sunday, September 12, 2010

Giddy Up

And now, what you all have been waiting for, an update on my life.

We're going on being back at Gville almost four weeks! Since the first few days it's felt like weeks and weeks. Now I feel like everything is finally settling, and four weeks feels pretty good. This week I have a few tests, which is good. It's good, because it motivates me. It gives me something to work for.

Yesterday I sang the national anthem for a volleyball game. It was really an awesome experience-- singing the Star Spangled Banner on September 11th. Very cool.

At this point, my classes have been pretty easy. I keep feeling like this year is way too easy so far. I've geared up for it being the most intense and crazy two semesters academically... but so far it's not too ridiculous. I've of course been practicing hours and hours for my Senior Recital though. It's not till February 26th, but my my my... so much much much to be done before then. I'm really excited about it when I'm not nervous about it. I have to pass some juries and everything to even be approved to give the recital. If I don't pass.... I'm not even going to go into that thought. I'm graduating in the Spring, and that's the end of that.

Anyway, I have my accompanist, and we're already set for weekly rehearsals. This is good. I need to have things planned. Me and my list writing has never been so extensive. I have lists written for the next five months! Sort of anyway... at least I have a lot planned out until the recital.

I'm so thankful for Zach. He's gonna be playing with me for a few of my songs. Getting together and practicing with him is so second nature. I hardly feel like it's work when we get going. We have a practice tonight with Mike, who's singing Superhuman with me. How cool is that... I actually get to sing Superhuman by Chris Brown and Keri Hilson! We're completely redoing the song. It's normally very different than how we're doing it. We're adding guitars and a viola, violin, and string bass. And a piano. But it won't be led by piano. Oh, and some kind of percussion, though we're still exploring that at the moment. Bottom line: we're getting innovative. And I am so exited. We're planning on performing it Tuesday for a vocal studio class ( everyone in my voice studio under my voice prof sings for the "class" of other voice students), and then performing it next Tuesday for the first student recital of the year. No strings added yet. We're just figuring it all out so far.

I'm still figuring out a lot of stuff for the recital. But I like to think it's coming along. I have five months. But about a month of those five will be back in Jersey. Not quite a full month, but that's kinda scary to be so close to the recital and not practicing with everyone.

As you can see, I am well ahead of myself. I suppose that will pay off in the end. Crossin' muh fingas!

This coming Wednesday is the All College Hike. We basically walk five miles. In the middle of the street. It's not a hike. It's a cute idea to call it one, but it's not. I will go. For extra credit. I have not one school day a week that I sleep in. Between tutoring a ton, and early morning classes, I really don't sleep in the morning. Trina and I go to bed at pretty reasonable hours though. So far:)

This Thursday is the first time our Vespers band is playing! We're extremely excited. We practice every Monday night, and I think we're gonna be really solid. Our team has bonded a lot, and we even have a new player. Steven Wallace, who I know as "Knives." He's playing bass. Jay is now our electric guitarist. Whoo! Anyway, we're really excited for that.

Friday I am off to Indianapolis with Chamber Singers. It's my first trip and performance being in Chambers. For this, I am very excited. Being in Chambers has really challenged me so far. It's hard to sight read with only a few other people singing your part. Slightly terrifying. But completely awesome.

I feel like this week is going to go back rather quickly. I'm ok with that. I like time to move. It frustrates me when it drags.

So I'm pretty much in a happy place with life I suppose. There are of course many things going on that I have not mentioned. But life is good.

A reason life is good at the moment, is I finished a song yesterday. It was actually some what of a long time coming. I usually pound it out all at once till I get it and got it right. But this one took a while longer. And it didn't even frustrate me that it took me over a week. I changed it so many times. But I'm happy with it now.

And! I just got back from the practice rooms. In between practicing Danza Danza (one of my Italian pieces) and Plasir d'Amour (my French piece) for my recital, and practicing a few songs for keyboard ensemble, I started a new song. I'm actually completely in love with it already. And as strange as it is for me, I only have a chorus. I usually start with verses. So, I'm excited. It feels so good to have the juices flowing. Lately it's been this way... I go a few weeks sort of just absorbing. Then the songs nearly write themselves. It's like the weeks I go without writing a song are times I just gather and gather. Then when the songs come, it's just reaching into the grab bag and putting the pieces together. So much to grab from.

So this has been Listen to Me Talk about My Life with Shaina Williams. God is doing so much in me... not much time to break and even catch my breath and count each thing He's already done. It's all just piling up. I'm doing my best to keep on going, but it's been fast. And like I said, I have no problem with that. Giddy up.

No comments:

Post a Comment