Saturday, September 18, 2010

Face plant

This is my 100th blog! Crazy man, just crazy.

I feel like I should blog about something spectacular. We'll see where this blog goes.

Friday was the first Chamber Singers performance. We loaded the buses with the twenty of us, and drove to Indianapolis. For a few hours I shared the same time zone as my friends and family back in Jersey!
Yesterday Trina and I had a roommate date. To the lounge. We had over two pounds of crunchy green grapes and cuddled up in a green blanket and watched Glee. It was wonderfully relaxing. Utterly magnificent.
This week Trina and I set out for Nebraska! Trina is from Nebraska and we're going to visit her family, go to a few football games, and explore corn fields. I've never been to Nebraska. I can't wait to live it up.

Today marks exactly one month since I've been here. I'm not sure about which direction to toss my thoughts. Has time gone slow, or has it gone fast? I'd say a little of both maybe. I'll straddle the line. I'm on the fence. Though there are moments the picket fence snaps on me and I feel time is going way too fast, and not a thought at all to time dragging it's feet... I've been pondering this a little bit lately.

One of my good friends here shared a testimony in church a few weeks ago. He's different. There's something I couldn't quite put my finger on, but he just seemed different. And it all made sense why... it's too big to fit under my finger. God really changed him over the summer. He shared how it happened over about three weeks or so. His challenge to the congregation was, "Don't doubt something because it happened fast. I'm proof that God can do a lot in nearly no time."

Hmmm... it seems so noble to listen to the "good things take time" proverb. We grind these principles into our skin like sand paper. Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and furious falls on his face. Who started that? Who ever, ever, ever said that God works in time restrictions, or only in long stretches? God works apart from time. All the time. We just keep track of it. But time doesn't exist with God. It's just the only way we know how to make sense of things. That's major. We trace God on a timeline, because it's the only way we can make a calculation.

We're limited. Time sticks to us. But if we were to throw a sticky time-ball (I'm making this up. Work with me.) at God, it wouldn't stick. We live so under the impression that time sticks to everything, and forget we serve a timeless God. Everything we touch sticks to time. Like the slime never leaves our hands, and comes through our fingers like oil through our pores after sleeping for 12 hours. If only that weren't such a distant memory...

So here's to say a lot is happening in my life. But it's not too fast. It's just in God's "timing" which is not comparable to ours. The only way I'd fall on my face pedaling to the pace of His time, is if I leave my shoelaces untied.

So I leave you with this. Tie your shoes. And don't be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment