Tuesday, June 22, 2010

City of just love

Alright. So last Friday, Katie and I went to South Street. One of our favorite places to be. We LOVE the city, and have always talked about living in Philly together should we become old crows, single and undesirable. We'd still desire each other's presence and we'd live in our favorite city.



So artsy, so creative and flowing with good stuff. Like Whole Foods, where we had lunch:) And Phileo, a place a of magic. And Sweet Freedom, where everything is gluten free so I can eat and not die. And sometimes, we even get lucky enough to be the only ones left for the street evangelist to yap our ears off when we're already Christians... actually, I abandoned Katie... i'm so sorry...



Katie and I were taking this picture (above) and laughing about how we love how adorable it is to have a garden, and lights on a little porch, which I am adamant about always calling a balcony which is so much more beautiful a word. We would definitely have a place as adorable as that place. We laughed and probably looked like little girls who should have worn our hair in pig tails. Then a rather tall guy with glasses and an overgrown t-shirt to cover his failing pair of pants he held up with one hand said to us, "You guys are SO cute!" We reacted with straight faces, and maybe a little confusion. He walked passed us at that point and said, "No! No it's good! It's a happy thing! Be happy cute!" And we laughed, and he laughed, and we continued on our way in opposite directions. What a city. Happy cute. What a good idea.



And ahhhh... when the evenings prove dull, and void of enough activity, we would go to the theatre. And ohhh. It would be lovely, just lovely. I miss acting:( Sad day.



We had a jolly old time.



And now, this picture... notice the bag in front. It's full of apples. Ok, so we walked through center city, and all down Broad St. and Walnut, and just wherever we felt like... there were so many homeless people. I usually had apples or oranges with me in my purse or something if I went into the city in Chicago or St. Louis while I was at school... better than giving money you probably have an idea of where it'd be spent... and Kath and I are health nuts... so we bought some apples from a random store, and paid all together too much for them.

Our conclusion was sad. We probably won't do that again... next time we at the very least need a guy with us... I always had a guy with me in the past, and it's always gone way better than it went for Katie and me.

Basically, someone asked us for money, and we said we had none, but we offered him an apple...

"No, I don't want an apple... but are you gonna be around later tonight...?" As he started walking toward us... we started walking away rather quickly, and did not look back.

We were peeved, and I was regretting paying for the stinking apples.

So then as we passed other people, we were more freaked, and not really quick to think to offer anything. We decided we wouldn't offer unless they asked us for something. And not only that, but we'd be ready to just hand the fruit over. No turning a head to reach into a bag...

So the only other time someone asked us for money was on a curb, surrounded by people, and alongside a street performer. As he approached us, and we handed him an apple. He held it, and said, "I don't want an apple. I don't want it!" And tried to give it back.

Ok, number one, I was mad. I was frustrated. If a guy were with us, we wouldn't have had to take another four apples home with us that night. And no one would have made any comments to us that were gross. It was actually hilarious though as we said a chorus of statements like, "No keep it," and "it's ok!" and "It's good for you!" We are SUCH health nuts.

Then we realized after we walked away pretty fast that he didn't have many teeth. So... our heroic deed for the day turned out to be a sinking ship.

And I still have a few apples in my fridge. Nice.

The other funny event had to occur as well.... We were at the very end of South, and we were just chilling out. It was getting dark, and we were still waiting for Zach and Caleigh to get there. We were tired from walking around all of Philly for already around 5 hours. And there was a guy supposed to be "dead" on the ground, covered with a sheet. We thought maybe the guy was doing some magic tricks or something. There was a pretty large group surrounding another guy on the pedestal, speaking into a microphone. We decided to see what the fuss was about.

As as we stood by, the group dissolved and left Katie and I alone in front of the guy. He might as well have been standing on a toy beach bucket... and he preached to Katie and I... I started walking away... it was one of those things that does more damage than good. More about condemnation than the saving grace of God. And Katie tried to tell him she was a Christian, and he basically said she probably wasn't. And more people gathered around to watch the spectacle.

It was no use trying to tell him that she and I agreed with what he was saying... it was quite an experience.

Anyway, it was a wonderful day that left us with aching, sore, and cramping feet. We later watched Shutter Island, and were rather freaked. And it was such a good movie. We enjoyed it. Good day:)

1 comment:

  1. the apples were an early lesson for me in feeding the homeless; my go to's now are bananas, apple sauce and granola bars. Remember though "Do not grow weary in doing good for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galations 6:9

    ReplyDelete