Sunday, October 17, 2010

4 seconds

Well hello!

Time has slowed just long enough for me to take a few minutes to write. Homecoming week has been awesome. Extremely busy and slightly stressful, yes. But fabulous all the same. Homecoming dance last night! Kirstie, Taryn, Leslee and I made everyone jealous with our incredible dancing abilities. It's hard to believe we're white.

Up until this week, I've felt like my music had taken a little bit more of a backseat in the drive of the semester. I'm always writing, so it wasn't that music wasn't happening. I just had not performed in a while. This week, aside from singing Italian love songs for a student recital, I got to play with Zach in the Blackroom twice! It was so refreshing, and exciting to play some songs I wrote over the Summer, and some from last semester that Zach and I worked on.

I believe I blogged about writing my song Away back in May. We played this song both Tuesday and Friday, and had a lovely time doing so. Here's a clip from Tuesday!



Getting back into performing a little bit has been crazy awesome for me. It's easy to forget how much it gets me going. You know the times when you're so hungry you don't even want food anymore? And then you start to eat, and you're unstoppable? Yeah. I know that feeling when it comes to my music. It's not that I forget entirely about it. I just get a little dull and grey in the slowed motions. I keep writing, but don't perfect things. And then when I finally get to perform... it's to a land of no return for at least a little while.

Tuesday night was just an Open Mic night in the Blackroom, and we played Away and I Dare the Rain. Friday night we played with Four Ways Left, and the Backyard Pirates. Fun times! We played Too Much, Let Me Know (Zach is a beast), Somebody (First time playing it out whoo hoo!), and Away.

I guess I've just been on a high since getting to play Friday especially, even though we certainly did not give our best performance... but you get over it. So yesterday, after sleeping in for the first time in what seemed like weeks, it struck. I've used this analogy before... when you're about to puke, you know it's coming. You have about 4 seconds to get to the bathroom before it's all over. Well, when a song is coming to me, it's pretty similar. I usually have a little more than a few seconds though to get to a piano or guitar though.

Anyway, Zach soon joined me and we wrote a duet called The One I Want. I am currently quite infatuated with this song... I had started humming the melody and the hook last week while I was in Disney. I had recorded it on my phone as quietly as I could in one of the transportation buses between parks. When I tried to listen to it, I could just barely hear it at all. Well, all you first year music majors who feel like your life is ending over and over again with Ear Training 101, don't despair. It could save a you a song you couldn't hear on your phone because you were too chicken to break out into an obnoxious musical sitting next to strangers on a bus. I remember tracing the intervals in my head when I was humming it last week, and was able to retrace it till I remembered it. All those deaths pay off every now and then:)

So The One I Want is the latest. I love duets, and I love singing with Zach. So next show, I think it's safe to say we'll probably do that one.

One thing. I miss Cal. Cause she Zach and I make music 100 times better than just Zach and I which is already 100 times better than just me. Thanksgiving, you will be embraced with many songs!

Until then, I think time will be occupied quite nicely. Life is just fabulous. I love college. I can't believe I'm really done next Spring. Alright, one thing at a time. Laundry. Yeah... gotta get on that....

1 comment:

  1. Aww I love when my name is in your blogs:) it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete