Saturday, August 14, 2010

There I just said it, I'm scared you'll forget about me

I'm a musician. My thoughts move like chord progressions. I tap my fingers on my steering wheel, though I can hardly keep drum sticks from slipping out of my hand. I start to sway when I'm sitting or standing still, possibly to the beat of my own heart if that's believable. There's always a rhythm. When I hear a profound statement, I flip through it till I find a way to remember it... meaning I find a way to make it sound like a lyrical hook. When I hear the hum of a car next to me mix with whatever I'm driving, I wonder how they'd mix with instruments. When I hear a song playing when I'm walking, I'm sentenced to walking in beat. My feet won't have it any other way. I practically have to shove my fingers in my ears and scream " LA LA LA LA LA!!" if I should decide to walk to my own pace. It's distressing!

Anyway, I was talking to a woman yesterday who was a music major in college as well, and she mentioned how as musical people, we use the right side of our brains a lot. We begin to function in different ways by exercising certain parts of our brains the way we do. She challenged me not to forget the things I've learned and the things God has put in my life over this summer as I head back to school in a few days. She said musical people tend to "drop" things, and head to whatever else they're doing. This woman is a doctor, too, by the way. She's not just some freak who spends too much time on Google.

She mentioned how musicians move on and sometimes move on to the point of forgetting what they moved on from. The focus is different. She had gone into the mechanics of the "right side of the brain" and how it differs from the left side, and all of that. It was really interesting in an intellectual kind of way, but also interesting in a few other ways.

I think God was really speaking through her when she started taking about not forgetting. I admit, in my fast-paced, "bring on the challenge" kind of personality, I tend to just keep moving. I reflect a ton, but once I reflect, I'm ready to get on going again. I think God was telling me I need to trust more. I need to forget about my own agenda and where I need to get to. When God makes a promise, He keeps it. But if I forget to face His faithfulness, I won't get the blessing.

That was vague... think of it this way: If Zach were to promise me $20, but I never go to get the cash, I won't get it. If I don't face the situation, I won't receive the blessing. If God promises me something, if He gives me a word from Him, and I don't continue seeking and searching Him through the completion of whatever it is... I miss something. I might not completely "miss" something, but I don't get the full richness of it.

This Summer I'm amazed at the things God has done. I'm amazed at how much He's grown in me, and how much He's rekindled so much He had started years ago. I'm in awe of the ways He's blessed me, and how He's inspired me. I'm also shocked at how little I still know of Him. No matter what, I'm always walking blindly in some way. I can feel like I understand what He's doing in my life and in the situations around me, and then get slapped in the face with a curve ball when i wasn't even standing on the field. Bah!

But I'm continually reminded of the words this woman spoke to me yesterday. Don't forget. Don't "move on" and forget.

I was really challenged. I think I'm gonna have to learn how to juggle a little better. My hard focus might have to go through some Pilates work outs...

Anyway, I love music. It's so awesome. And so I will title this work with the rich lyrics of John Mayer.

2 comments:

  1. um... that was amazing and so true. thanks for the reminder to all of us. I have that same tendency to just move on and forget the lesson that I learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "JOHN MAYER IN TITLE" was my first thought when I saw this. haha
    I love your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete