Friday, October 9, 2015

Act

How interesting it is that my last post was about remembering... I'm going through the book of Judges in the book by Tim Keller, "Judges for You." I LOVE his books. I trust his theology, and always feel like I'm gaining so much understanding and knowledge by the clear, yet deep way he teaches.

He talked about what the words remember, memory and forget actually mean when used in the Bible. These words have always stood out to me, as you might guess based on my posts. He basically said remembering something means your are "acting on" the knowledge of what happened. Forgetting is not acting on the knowledge you have.

This is gold, to me.

When I think about my own life, I know I don't hold memories in the forefront of my brain that would change the way I'd handle a situation. Remembering the right memory, the evidence of truth would change my heart so often, but I don't always do it.

Similarly, remembering the wrong memories, the memories that cause me to "act" on pain or lingering hurts causes a different consequence entirely.

I love where this is going.

We don't need to be stressed out about living. We just live.

God can bring our memories back to us to continue to bring life to moments past. That's amazing.

I could go on and on and maybe make more sense, but Selah just woke up from her nap. I suspect God is not done teaching me about this, though, so you'll probably hear more from me about these things. Adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment