Thursday, February 18, 2010

But When We're Way Up Here, It's Crystal Clear

Thursday night! The best part of the week. Why? Well... it is the anticipatory segment of the week. Right before the weekend officially hits. For me, it hits at 12:20 Friday afternoon-- the end of my last class! I have a pretty awesome weekend schedule this semester. Anyway, my Friday morning class is COR which I'm really enjoying this semester a lot. And even though I have been studying for an exam for it tomorrow, I'm still in such a good mood.
I tend to look ahead so much more than I look behind. I look behind for comparison, not because I'm stuck in the past usually. I'm also a memory person... I hold memories as conveniently as a shopping cart holds groceries. But the way I look ahead is constantly striving forward. Obviously there are good sides to this and sides I need to keep a tighter rein on, but I like moving forward. And because I like moving forward, often times I realize the best times are right before the waves actually crash, right before the sun actually sets, right before the first bite of the best meals. The anticipation. To me, anticipation is a cherished asset to my moving forward. It's the building excitement, and the chance to breathe before your breath is taken again. It's kinda sad when you realize what you waited for is over.
Anticipation only happens when you know something else is about to happen. For example, I can't anticipate in the same way I can when I have expectations, when I have no expectations at all. If I didn't know class would be canceled one day, I can't anticipate free time. If I know I'm about to experience freedom (you can tell I'm ready for a weekend....) I can anticipate it. The anticipation builds up. Time is so fleeting... sometimes for me, just knowing how I allow time to move through my hands like soft lace being pulled gently from my grasp, the time of expectation and anticipation is the most relieving. 
In the movie Aladdin, there's a scene where he and Abu step across these stones that float above flaming lava. The steps are perfect to hold a foot! That's sometimes how I visualize the way I operate with time. I take each step. With one step at a time. As long as there's a step there, I usually take it. The Reliant K song Forward Motion is only true of me at times. "I struggle with forward motion." Nah, usually I'm pretty ok with forward motion. As long as there's a step there to hold my weigh above that lava. 
So I guess I ride the Magic Carpet across the shining shimmering splendid splashes of time. It can be effortless. I'm capable of liking time when it keeps going, and moves over crystal water so I can separate the cool surface with my finger to feel the freshness on my skin. (Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie... I'm practically repeating the Magic Carpet Ride song right now...)

So I guess in moments typical of Thursday nights this semester, I can relax just long enough before the ride starts again. Before the ride even begins and slowly fades to Monday. I like being busy usually... but I love Thursday nights. 

This is a hilarious comparison to my last blog. I compared time to a silly monkey... now it's a Magic Carpet. Ahhh the difference between discussing time when the anticipation is over (like my last one) and the refreshing, promising anticipation portion. The waves haven't yet crashed, and the sun has not yet set, and a beautiful banquet of perfect gluten-free food awaits! The suspense is overwhelming. On to the reception! 

1 comment:

  1. “ So I guess I ride the Magic Carpet across the shining shimmering splendid splashes of time.” omg, what a freaking sentence!!!

    ReplyDelete