Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I can do that!

I've realized something. Kids are always happy. Most of them. Even the ones that you know have reason not to be. I look at some of my students and think, "How is he happy? His parents are getting a divorce." Or, "She got 3 hours of sleep last night, and is just so thrilled to be awake."

Children are so focused on the now. What is happening right now. They hate going to bed, because they'd rather not miss anything.

I wish I could fully embrace this lost mentality.

I remember when I hated to go to bed at night. Now, the only reason I'd hate going to bed is because I have too much I should be doing... or should I? Why? My reasoning has completely changed.

When I was a wee babe, I hated missing one moment of wakefulness. Now, when I wake up in the morning, I couldn't care less if I missed another hour of being aware of my surroundings.

I wish I could go back to being like that of a child. Where life is just so amazing, and so full of excitement.

I used to dream of this time in my life. I used to think, "I cannot wait until I have a job, and a boyfriend that I love, and a car!!"

I even have a red car like I used to envision!

I look at my life... and it's flawless. I am beyond blessed. I have more than I dreamed of as a child. I used to yearn for this exciting time in my life. I'm so full of anticipation and so on the brink of even more good stuff. Yet, I still love to sleep it through.

I've started something new, where I just dwell on the day I'm currently living, and I make a list (I'm a huge list person...) of all the things I'm excited about in one day. It keeps me from dying when I miss Caleb. It keeps me in a better mood.

I think kids got it right... they wake up excited for life regardless of the mundane schedules they live, just like we do.

When I think about it, it makes such perfect sense that we are to become like children before we enter the Kingdom of God...

Why must we abandon the freedom and wonder of a child in order to become an adult? Adults are the most boring, depressing people in the world in America. I'm serious. I'm so sick of pessimists and people who have to speak the reality, when the reality is only hypothetical. It's just something to be aware of. I just get so run down by stress and anxiety. I've completely sold out sometimes. I've become one of those people so much of the time.

I know I'm rambling. I'm not saying I want to be careless. But I just loved watching my kids today... when they'd be upset about something, they'd immediately get back up and be excited about something else so small. Like when I give a math sheet, and they stumble over a few problems, yet perk right up when they come across another one they understand.

What if we always looked at our lives like, "I can do that!" Like, can I get up this morning and go to work? Yeah! Awesome!

One thing at a time... yeah, I can do that.

Ok. I'm done my rant. Kids are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment