Friday, January 29, 2010

Password Please?

Today has been so nice. I was so happy to get some sleep this morning, having my first class start at a comfortable 11:30 a.m. This is my only class of the day too, which is absolutely excellent. So as I went to COR 302 today, I was expecting a relatively restful class, because Zahniser (the prof) had already told us today would be more of his personal introduction of himself. He had several slides, and read to us his personal story of how he came to study science, as the COR 302 theme is Science and Religion/Christianity. 
I admit I tried not to space out too much. It's not that what he was talking about wasn't interesting. I was just trying to go over in my head a million things... which books I needed to buy today, which ones I could get away with just getting from the library... my head never stops moving. However, I managed to focus. Coming out of that class today left me not only going over all of the purchases I'd be making in the coming days, but also how awesome it is to be at a school that even the teachers can express their awe for the Lord. Towards the end of Zahniser's story, he began to weep as he shared his own experience and study of science and how that has led him only back to God. His being moved, moved the rest of us in the class I'm sure. His stories were very personal, and instead of relaying them, I'll just say they were very moving. And as an apparently "emotional person" as some of my friends plead to believe me to be, I appreciated his openness to our class. And not only that, I appreciated the fact that we can be open here. 
So I am not saying here I would be against going to a nonchristian school. I wouldn't mind that honestly. All I'm saying is today I noticed the privilege we have here at GC to be real and vulnerable in ways I did not experience at all at my previous school. It's very refreshing. The mindset here is definitely not "every man for himself" or "tough luck buddy."It's kind of more "let's do this. Right here. Right now." Community is kinda the password to even set foot on Greenville property, or so it seems. At first, it's kind of confusing. It seems to be a really nice thought, and something we could promote on postcards sent out to prospective students, but what's startling is that it's sincerely enforced by almost everyone on staff and on faculty. I have only been here one semester before now, and it's interesting to note that it's not my first semester, but the "first semester treatment" is still kinda here. And then it all makes sense. It's not "first semester treatment" at all... it's just how it goes at GC-- If you're here, you're gonna live in community with everyone, and if not, you're gonna be very sore by the end of each day attempting to repel the efforts. 
I've experienced the oddest class experiences I've ever had while at GC. It's shocking that the things advertised on those postcards I received for months are actually pretty accurate. Last semester my head was probably cocked to the side several times a day in lack of comprehension of what the deal was. And even though I've only had three days of classes so far this semester, I'm thinking my head will probably be standing a little straighter, and maybe (metaphorically) nodding in the spark of understanding. 
So while most places that have (theoretical) passwords require the understanding OF the password, GC kinda gives it to you so you have something to ponder as it begins to understand YOU before you even understand IT.  So that's my thought for today... it's a weird place over here....but I like it:) 

1 comment: