Monday, September 21, 2015

Simple

Living simply is something that has always drawn me in. I hate being overwhelmed by too many things. If you know me, you know this sounds probably like a lie, since I do a thousand things everyday, and when I do less than a thousand things a day, I feel like I accomplished nothing. It's a problem.

But what is also a problem is the way "stuff" rules the world. I've seen it circulating around Facebook and Pinterest all the posts on how to minimize your closets so only 15 items and how to minimize the amounts of toys and clothes we have for our kids.

I love it.

It's really important to me to instill a comfortability in my family to live simply. I never had the yearly huge shopping trip to spend a few hundred dollars on new school clothes. I loved going to thrift stores and searching for the cheap but awesome treasures I'd find. Getting massive bags of hand me downs was never a burden to me. I never felt like I lacked anything growing up in a home with 7 other kids. There was always an abundance of bodies in the house, and never a ton of money for "extras." I was never sad, though. I had everything I needed.

I want my children to feel that way, too.

It's honestly been challenging to still have plenty of gift cards for Target left from my baby showers nearly a year ago. Caleb and I agreed we'd only use that money for things for the baby. We haven't spent money on diapers yet, because we've stuck to this. Oh, except that time I forgot the gift cards... ok, we have spent $9 on diapers. Still not bad ;)

It's hard to walk around and see fun little baby toys, and deeply desire to see Selah's face when I present her with some toy. But she doesn't even really care right now. In fact, as I type right now, Selah is sitting in front of me in her bedroom having an absolute blast tearing apart her sock bin. The socks are everywhere, and she is ecstatic.

Spend money to get a toy she doesn't need, or allow her to explore what she has, be it a toy or not?

I want to be flexible with the fact that children aren't neat freaks. I want Selah to have fun with what she has, not feel like she doesn't have enough.

I've only bought one outfit since Selah was born myself, too. People love to give their old clothes, and I am a happy receiver. I hope to return the favors to other moms in the future.

I'm thankful for the upbringing I had full of yard sales, thrift stores and hand me downs.

For this time in Selah's life, I'm the one that needs to be content with hand me downs for her. She's as happy as she'd be in hand me downs as anything else.

I like it simple. I want her to be comfortable in a simple lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment